In this episode, we are excited for you to hear from Bob Sornson author of Over-Tested and Under-Prepared: Using Competency Based Learning to Transform Our Schools. Dr. Sornson is an education leader calling for programs and practices that support competency based learning, early learning success and high-quality early childhood learning programs. He is the father of four grown children and works internationally with school districts, universities and parent organizations. For over 30 years Bob has worked as a teacher and as an administrator in Michigan public schools, developed an acclaimed model early learning success initiative, and in 2001 founded the Early Learning Foundation.
Bob has written numerous best-selling books for educators, parents and children along with many journal publications He has offered workshops and keynotes in 47 states and in other nations. Bob is dedicated to giving far more students a real chance at success. He is dedicated to building systems in which learners thrive, care for each other, demonstrate personal character, love to learn, and work collaboratively.
Here are some of the topics we discussed.
- What is the beautiful question behind your book: Over-tested and Under-prepared?
- What is it about the current system of cover-test-sort that no longer supports the majority of learners to become successful?
- What is the new vision you provide in your book?
- If we were to look at the profile of a competent graduate today, what would that profile look like? What basic competencies do graduates of today need?
- What process do you propose for schools to begin the transformation to competency based learning?
- Is there ever a time when coverage is enough?
- What is the role of grades in competency-based education?
- Can you provide some examples where innovative competency-based learning is being explored and implemented?
- What advice can you provide leaders interested in moving schools and districts toward competency-based learning? What are some challenges we need to navigate?
- What “beautiful questions” are you currently thinking about?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- What are you currently doing to break free of the cover-test-sort model of school and move toward competency based learning?
- If you haven’t yet implemented a plan of competency based learning in your school or district, what will be your first step in taking action?
Explore Additional Resources
- Early Learning Foundation
- Education News Interview
- Dr. Sornson on Twitter
- Dr. Sornson on LinkedIn
- New Hampshire Competency Based
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.