In this episode, we welcome Chris Lehmann, co-author of Building School 2.0: How to Create Schools We Need. Chris is the Assistant Superintendent for Innovation for the School District of Philadelphia and the founding principal of the Science Leadership Academy, a progressive science and technology high school in Philadelphia. Science Leadership Academy is an inquiry-driven, project-based, 1:1 laptop school that is considered to be one of the pioneers of the School 2.0 movement nationally and internationally. Chris has received many recognitions for his work including the 2014 McGraw Prize in Education, the 2013 Outstanding Leader of the Year by the International Society of Technology in Education and the 2009 Outstanding Young Educator Award from ASCD. He has written for many publications, been featured speaker at many conferences, and blogs at practicaltheory.org.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- What is the beautiful question behind Building School 2.0?
- How should education, learning and physical spaces change because of the changing nature of our lives brought on by the use of technology? What role should technology play? What role shouldn’t it play?
- In what ways do you “minimize the administrivia” and focus on leading for meaningful educational experiences?
- How is starting from scratch different from changing a system steeped in what’s always been done?
- How did SLA arrive at the core values of inquiry, research, collaboration, presentation and reflection, and how did consensus play into that process?
- Can you describe what blending theory and practice looks like at SLA?
- How do we not lose sight of what we have and why it’s so special? How do we keep the routine from becoming uninspiring?
- Which of the propositions stands out for you and why?
- What “beautiful questions” are you currently thinking about?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- If you were building school 2.0, what core values would you want to develop in your students?
Explore Additional Resources
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.