In this episode, we are talking with Laura Greenstein, author of Assessing 21st Century Skills – A Guide to Evaluating Mastery and Authentic Learning and What Teachers Really Need to Know About Formative Assessment.
Laura has been an educator for over 30 years serving as a teacher in multiple grades and subjects, department chair, school leader, and professional development specialist. She also volunteered as a school board member! As an adjunct professor at the University of New Haven and the University of Connecticut she teaches Human Development and Assessment to undergraduate and graduate students. Laura presents at workshops and conferences locally and nationally.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- What is the beautiful question behind your book: Assessing 21st Century Skills?
- We have heard a lot of different ideas related to 21st century skills – From your perspective, what are they and why are they important?
- A few of the ideas we’ve been thinking about lately are inquiry, personalized learning and students finding and solving problems of which thinking is a big part. What are some ways we should assess thinking skills in practice?
- You have talked about the skills. Let’s shift to assessment. Can you help us understand how you approach assessment? Should we be grading 21st century skills – the thinking skills, actions and skills for living in the world you talk about in your book?
- How are 21st century skills connected to CCSS?
- We’ve started some work using student portfolios. How can portfolios be used most effectively in the assessment process for 21st century skills?
- What advice would you give us as leaders to better support our teachers to assess 21st century skills?
- What beautiful questions are you currently thinking about?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- Which 21st century skills are you most comfortable teaching and assessing?
- What supports do you need from your school leader to think differently about assessment and 21st century skills?
Explore Additional Resources
- Laura’s website – http://www.assessmentnetwork.net If you visit Laura’s blog, you will see all of her contact information including email, Twitter and Facebook.
- Kathy Schrock’s Rubrics
- Laura’s Books
- Assessing 21st Century Skills – A Guide to Evaluating Mastery and Authentic Learning
- What Teachers Really Need to Know About Formative Assessment
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.