In this episode, we welcome Zac Chase, a ConnectED Specialist with the Department of Education’s Office of Educational Technology. Zac led the most recent revision of the National Education Technology Plan, serves as the department’s liaison to the President’s Broadband Opportunity Council and coordinates OET’s efforts around Technology and Early Learning, and EdTech in Teacher Preparation. He also moderates the Office’s OET Tech Tuesday hangouts. For a decade, Zac worked at the school and district level – first as a middle and high school teacher and then as a district instructional technology coordinator. In whatever time he has left in the day, he is an avid maker and distance runner.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- What is the NETP and why should school leaders be interested in it?
- Talk briefly about the 5 essential areas outlined in the plan and how the goals and recommendations represent a “revolutionary transformation rather than evolutionary tinkering” within the educational system?
- What can the field of education learn from business startups and the entertainment industry where technology use is concerned?
- The plan talks about the need for education to implement a new approach to research and development (R&D). How can we as leaders encourage the scaling of innovative practices in a world of political and fiscal constraints?
- We are hearing a lot about personalized learning and and the shift in student agency in learning. How do the goals and recommendations in the NETP align with the goals of personalized learning?
- Talk to us about the concept of connected teaching. What is it and how can leaders provide the conditions for teachers to get connected to like-minded practitioners?
- What are some examples of how school leaders are embracing ideas in the NETP?
(Lynn) What other edtech initiatives are you currently working on at the department?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- Which of the 5 essential areas will play the most important role in your school’s transformation?
- What will your teachers need to do differently? How will you need to lead differently?
Explore Additional Resources
- The office on Twitter @OfficeOfEdTech
- Zac on Twitter @mrchase
- Future Ready Leadership Resources – tech.ed.gov/leaders
- Stories from other districts – Tech.ed.gov/stories
- Graphics Cards
- Information about Rochester High School’s Course – Civil Rights
- Salisbury’s Future Ready Information
- #GoOpen Movement
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.