In this episode, we are excited for you to hear from A. J. Juliani, author of Inquiry and Innovation in the Classroom: Using 20% Time, Genius Hour, and PBL to Drive Student Success AND Learning by Choice: 10 Ways Choice and Differentiation Create an Engaged Learning Experience for Every Student. A.J. currently works as an Education and Technology Innovation Specialist at Upper Perkiomen School District in Pennsylvania.
Previously he was a K-12 Technology Staff Developer overseeing a 1:1 initiative, a middle school ELA teacher, and a high school English teacher (as well as a football and lacrosse coach). A.J. believes strongly in the “inquiry-driven” education movement. With four children of his own, he wants them to grow up in a world that values their ideas. He shares his own ideas and thoughts on “Intentional Innovation” and the future of learning at ajjuliani.com.
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
- What is the beautiful question behind your book your recent books: Inquiry and Innovation in the classroom AND Learning by Choice?
- It seems like a common thread through your work is the idea of learner agency. Share with us why you think learner agency is important and what we can do to develop it in our learners.
- As we advocate for changing the way learning happens in the classroom, what are some tips you can give for educating the community and parents as to WHY we need to do this?
- What is the role of technology and social media in this transformation of teaching and learning?
- Let’s talk about the precious resource we call time. How do we need to think differently about time – how our teachers and our students use it?
- Are the PA Core and personalized learning compatible?
- What suggestions do you have for leaders who are realizing the need to move schools and districts toward inquiry, innovation and projects?
- What “beautiful questions” are you currently thinking about?
Join the Conversation Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- Which of the 5 essential areas will play the most important role in your school’s transformation?
- What will your teachers need to do differently? How will you need to lead differently?
Explore Additional Resources
Follow AJ on Twitter : @ajjuliani
AJ’s Blog – http://ajjuliani.com (You can even access AJ’s Innovative Teaching Toolbox by subscribing to his site.)
Self-Reflective Conversation Questions:
- What are we allowing students to do?
- What are making time for students to do?
- What are we supporting in terms of student work?
- What are we assessing?
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.