In this episode, we are talking with Aaron Sams. Aaron has been an educator since 2000. He operates the education consulting firm Sams Learning Designs, is an Adjunct Professor at Saint Vincent College, and serves as an advisor to TED-Ed. In 2009 he was awarded the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching while teaching Chemistry in Woodland Park, CO and serving as co-chair of the Colorado State Science Standards Revision Committee. Aaron has co-authored seven books on the Flipped Classroom concept.
Aaron is an internationally recognized education keynote speaker and has trained thousands of teachers, administrators, and professors to integrate new technology with sound pedagogy. With experience in public, private, and home schools, in both face-to-face, online, and blended learning environments, Aaron brings a unique educational perspective to any audience. He is a lifelong learner, reader, maker, and explorer. He holds both a B.S. in Biochemistry and an M.A.Ed. from Biola University.
Here is what we talked about:
- We saw you most recently at our state technology conference, PETE&C. Your presentation focused on how we might use technology more effectively. Talk to us about some of the ideas you shared in that presentation.
- Through your lens, what does good science pedagogy look like?
- What role does inquiry play in science classrooms? How do these skills/processes transfer to other content areas?
- How can we as leaders support change in science education? What are some ways we can support our teachers?
- You’ve written several books on the flipped classroom. What is the flipped classroom and how does that fit into your pedagogical and technological vision of the classroom?
- What beautiful question are you thinking about now? What are you working on next?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- What shifts in practice will you focus on to more your classroom toward inquiry and effective use of technology? What supports will you need?
Explore Additional Resources
- Aaron’s website: aaronsams.com
- Follow Aaron on Twitter @chemicalsams
- Aaron’s new project: pdbyteachers.com
- Aaron’s EdTech Startup project – Project Playground (http://projectplayground.io)
- Check out Aaron’s books!
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.