In this episode, we are talking about Education Reimagined with Kelly Young. Kelly Young is the Director of Education Reimagined, an initiative of Convergence committed to accelerating the growth and impact of the learner-centered education movement. Education Reimagined was launched out of an 18-month Convergence dialogue that Kelly envisioned and led among 28 ideologically diverse education practitioners and leaders to reimagine education. Kelly was also a founding Vice President of Convergence.
Previously, she served as the Interim Chief of the Office of Family and Public Engagement for the District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS), where she helped implement home visits and other high-impact family engagement strategies. During her tenure, she led DCPS’s strategic planning process that started by engaging thousands of students, teachers, parents, and community members in a Hopes and Dreams campaign and ended in a 5-year district-wide plan.
From 1998-2007, Kelly served as the Executive Director of a national political organization. Under her leadership, the organization thrived and grew from a budget of $8,000 to be one of the largest political action committees in the country—helping elect over a hundred of candidates nationwide.
She is the mother of two young children. She received her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center and a B.A. in Anthropology from the University of Virginia.
Here is what we talked about:
- What is the beautiful question behind Education Reimagined’s “transformational vision for education in the US?”
- We often feel like our “system” impacts our choices and opportunities. Talk to us about THE CHALLENGE: AN INDUSTRIAL-ERA SYSTEM IN THE 21ST CENTURY.
- How will a learner-centered paradigm shift look different from our current paradigm?
- The report references LEARNING DOMAINS AND ELEMENTS OF THE LEARNING EXPERIENCE. We used your learning domains as a model for our visioning process. Why is this framework of knowledge, skills, and abilities so critical in this shift?
- The report identifies five elements designed to serve as a “North Star” to guide innovation. Talk with us about these elements and why they are important.
- Talk with us about the types of assessments we need to consider during the implementation of a learner-centered vision.
- You have shared many ideas to consider in this shift. How can we really make this happen?
- What beautiful question are you thinking about now? What are you working on next?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- What knowledge, skills, and dispositions do you want your students to have when they graduate from your schools and become part of a connected, global learning environment?
- How do your current learning environments support your vision?
Explore Additional Resources
Home of Education Reimagined (Be sure to download the newsletter PIONEERING!)
You can contact Kelly via email at email@example.com
Education Reimagined on Twitter: @EdReimagined
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.