In this episode, we talk with Monica Burns. Monica is an edtech and curriculum consultant, Apple Distinguished Educator, founder of the website ClassTechTips.com and author of Deeper Learning with QR Codes and Augmented Reality: A Scannable Solution for Your Classroom.
In her role as a classroom teacher in general education and integrated co-teaching settings, she used iPads one to one with her students while aligning her instruction to the Common Core State Standards. Monica has presented to teachers, administrators and tech enthusiasts at numerous national and international conferences including SXSWedu, ISTE and EduTech. She is a webinar host for SimpleK12 and a regular contributor to Edutopia and Channel One News.
Monica’s work in Pre-K12 focuses on making technology exciting and accessible. She also supports organizations using technology to teach children and families in need. Monica is a graduate of the University of Delaware and Hunter College. She is currently pursuing her doctorate in global education leadership at Lamar University.
Here is what we talked about:
- What is the beautiful question behind Deeper Learning with QR Codes and Augmented Reality?
- What is scannable technology and why should we be using it?
- In your book you talk about two kinds of scannable technology, QR codes and augmented reality. Tell us a little bit more about each of these and give us some examples of how teachers are using these technologies with their students.
- You provide a framework – the ACES framework – that can help teachers think about using scannable technologies effectively with their students. Tell us about the framework.
- How can scannable technology help learners become more self-directed?
- How can scannable technology be used to differentiate resources in the classroom?
- What do you think is the future of scannable technology both inside and outside the classroom?
- What beautiful question are you thinking about now? What are you working on? What’s inspiring you?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s question:
- What is the future of scannable technology in your classroom? What will be your next steps to experiment with this technology?
Explore Additional Resources
- Deeper Learning with QR Codes and Augmented Reality
- ClassTechTips on Twitter: @ClassTechTips
- ClassTechTips on Facebook
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.