This is the first is a series of schools working toward student-centered, competency learning models. We’ve done many podcasts on personalizing and individualizing learning. With this series we want to amplify the practitioners’ voice, so we’ll be connecting with innovative schools and leaders around the country to tell their story. Thanks to Kelly and Monica at Education Reimagined for helping us find these practitioners and make the connections!
Today, we are talking with Bob Crumley. Bob is Superintendent in the rural district of Chugach School District, Alaska. Born and raised in Montana, where he earned his teaching credentials, Bob has worked with the Chugach School District for over 20 years as a Head Teacher, Principal, Assistant Superintendent, and Superintendent for the past 11 years. During this tenure, he has played a key role in developing Chugach’s innovative performance based educational system. This experience has provided him a unique perspective on how to align and coordinate all aspects of the school system so that it indeed does work for each and every student. As the first Education recipient of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2001, the Chugach School District has proven that this common-sense approach to doing what is best for students can truly provide world-class educational opportunities even in geographically isolated remote Alaskan communities.
Here is what we talked about:
- Tell us about your district and it’s “voyage to excellence.”
- How did you embrace performance-based learning? Can you talk to the shifts in learning being the constant and time being the variable?
- What was your “why”? Why was it necessary for Chugach to move toward performance learning?
- Talk about learner agency. How much control do learners have over their own learning and the design of those experiences? Can you give some examples of what this looks like for learners?
- Talk about the role of leadership in gaining ownership from the community and staff.
- What advice would you give other school leaders wanting to move their schools and districts in this direction
- What’s next for Chugach? What’s inspiring you?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- What have you learned from today’s conversation about implementing a performance model of learning?
Explore Additional Resources
- Chugach Schools
- Competency Works Report: Chugach School District: A Personalized, Performance-Based System
- Bookmark Northern Lights: These Schools Literally Leave No Child Behind
- How Alaska’s Chugach District Changed Education Through Performance-Based Learning
- Advice for Superintendents: The ABCs of Leading A District
- Connect with Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.