In this episode, we welcome Barbara Bray! Barbara is co-founder of Personalize Learning, LLC (with Kathleen McClaskey), co-author of the book Make Learning Personal, and founder/owner of My eCoach. As a creative learning strategist, Barbara is passionate about writing, bringing creativity and passion back to learning and empowering educators to transform teaching and learning. She focuses on coaching, communities of practice, design thinking, project-based learning and designing learner-centered environments. Here is what we talked about…
- In A More Beautiful Question, author Warren Berger describes a beautiful question as one that is ambitious and actionable. What is the beautiful question behind Make Learning Personal?
- In Make Learning Personal, you say, “the concept is confusing and needs clarification.” In your book, you share a powerful graphic which articulates the differences between personalization, differentiation, and individualization. Can you briefly explain the basic tenants of personal learning and how it looks different from differentiation and individualization?
- In personalized learning, learners have a voice. How do we help teachers and learners to value that voice especially after being in a system that has not focused on learner agency?
- We have heard a barrier for making learning personal is the need to “cover standards.” Have you experienced this barrier, and how would you navigate it?
- What is the role of technology and digital literacy in personalized learning, particularly with Generation Z?
- What is the role of leadership in designing a personalized learning model? What is a piece of advice you would give leaders as we embark on this journey?
- What “beautiful questions” are you currently thinking about?
Join the Conversation
Each episode we leave you with a question or two to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This week’s question:
- How are you moving toward personalized learning in your classroom or school?
- What successes and challenges have you been facing?
Leave a comment below or leave a voicemail. You can also use hashtag #tltalkradio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources
- Barbara on Twitter @bbray27
- Personalize Learning on Twitter @plearnchat
- Reach Personalize Learning by email email@example.com
- Personalize Learning www.personalizelearning.com
- My eCoach http://my-ecoach.com
- Rethinking Learning http://barbarabray.net
- 5 Ws of Personalized Learning www.personalizelearning.com/p/5-ws.html
- Standalone course on 5 Ws www.personalizelearning.com/p/standalone-5ws.html
- Barbara hosts #plearnchat every other Monday 7pm. (Next #plearnchat is on Learner Agency December 14, 2015.)
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode:
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the redSend Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.