In this episode, we are speaking with Kathleen McClaskey. Kathleen is CEO and co-founder of Personalize Learning, LLC. With Barbara Bray, Kathleen is the coauthor of How to Personalize Learning: A Practical Guide for Getting Started and Going Deeper and Make Learning Personal: The What, Who, WOW, Where and Why.
Kathleen began her career in educational technology in 1983 where she envisioned that “Computers are the great equalizer.” (In 1983 the word technology was not used.) She will tell you that she has realized that vision and it is what drives her work in personalized learning. Today, Kathleen is an innovative leader, education technologist, keynote speaker, professional developer, and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) consultant with over 30 years experience in creating learner-centered environments as a teacher, K-12 administrator, graduate instructor and consultant. She is passionate about empowering learners with tools, skills and learning strategies so they become independent self-directed learners, learners with agency, who are future ready for college, career and life. Kathleen coined the phrase: “Every child on the planet is a learner.” With that understanding, she continues on her mission for educators to discover the learner in every child and to level the playing field for all learners. In January, she joined Education Reimagined’s Pioneer Lab with other pioneering educators to help create a national movement to transform education and develop learner-centered environments everywhere.
Here is what we talked about:
- Let’s begin the conversation with your latest book, How to Personalize Learning. Can you share with us why educators may want to use it to create learner-centered environments?
- In reading your ASCD article on personalization and UDL, could you tell us more about why the UDL Lens of Access, Engage and Express and personalized learning are a perfect match?
- Could you share how the UDL lens is used by teachers and learners?
- Talk to us more about the 3 step process to develop learner agency by using the UDL Lens.
- How do teachers begin to create learner-centered environments and effective instruction for all learners?
- What’s next for Kathleen? What are you working on?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we leave you with a question or two to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This week’s questions:
- How does the UDL lens shape your understanding of personalized learning?
- What’s the next step for you on the journey toward personalized learning?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
To learn more about Kathleen’s work visit Personalize Learning at http://www.personalizelearning.com.
Connect with Kathleen on…
- Facebook (kmcclaskey)
- Twitter (@khmmc)
- LinkedIn (kathleenmcclaskey)
- Google+ (+Kathleen McClaskey)
- Skype (kmcclaskey)
Contact Kathleen through email: email@example.com
Join #plearnchat on Mondays 7pm ET, 5pm CT, 4pm PT
- Monday, May 15th: Passionate Learners with Guest Host Pernille Ripp
- Monday, May 22nd: Global Collaboration Projects: co-hosts Julie Lindsay & Linda Ullah
Resources mentioned by Kathleen in this episode:
- How to Personalize Learning: A Practical Guide on Getting Started and Going Deeper by Barbara Bray and Kathleen McClaskey. Check out book on Corwin’s site. If you plan to purchase, use 20% discount code N16906
- Make Learning Personal: The What, Who, Wow, Where, and Why by Barbara Bray and Kathleen McClaskey. Check out book on Corwin’s site. If you plan to purchase, use 20% discount code N16906
- Personalization and UDL: The Perfect Match. ASCD Educational Leadership, March 2017
- Three-part blog series: The Process in Developing Learner Agency using the UDL Lens
Related Articles and Blogs on Personalized Learning and UDL
- The UDL Lens: Empower Teacher and Learners to Transform Education. Education Reimagined, Pioneering Issue 20, September 8, 2016
- The Story Behind my Passion to Personalize Learning
- Discover the Learner: Labels vs UDL Lens
- Changing Perceptions: Every Child a Learner
- Collaborative Blog Series on Learner Agency
- The Continuums to Develop Learner Agency by Barbara Bray @bbray27 and Kathleen McClaskey @khmmc with graphics designed by Sylvia Duckworth @sylviaduckworth
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we grow our podcast show and listener base.