In this episode, we are speaking with Dr. Roberta Golinkoff, co-author, along with Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, of Becoming Brilliant: What Science Tells Us About Raising Successful Children.
Dr. Golinkoff is the Unidel H. Rodney Sharp Professor of Education, Professor of Linguistics and Cognitive Science, and Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences at the University of Delaware. She has won numerous awards including the American Psychological Association Award for Distinguished Service to Psychological Science and Distinguished Scientific Lecturer. Having written over 150 articles and 16 books, monographs, and special journal issues, she is an expert on language development, playful learning and early spatial knowledge.
In Becoming Brilliant, Roberta and Kathy introduce a scientifically-based framework for how we should be teaching our children, both inside and outside of school. In this framework, we learn what our children will need to be productive members of their communities, good citizens of the world, responsible stewards of their lives and destinies, and overall successful, brilliant people.
Here is what we talked about:
- What is the big question behind Becoming Brilliant? Why is this an important book that educators and parents should read?
- What do we know from the learning sciences to support this broader vision of learning – this report card for the 21st century that includes the 6 Cs? How has the science of learning influenced how you’ve sequenced the Cs?
- We find elements of the 6 Cs spread throughout our Profile of a Graduate. Breaking out each C into 4 levels of mastery helps us understand the variations within each C. What is the role of free and structured play in achieving mastery, and what advice might you give to leaders working for higher levels of mastery? What are some ways parents can reinforce these skills at home and in the community?
- How can technology promote or inhibit the development of the 6 Cs?
- What’s next for Roberta and Kathy, your co-author? What are your working on?
Join the conversation!
Each episode we leave you with a couple of questions to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s questions:
- How does the idea of levels of mastery change your understanding of the 6 Cs?
- In what ways can you engage parents in developing an understanding of the importance of the 6 Cs?
Explore additional resources!
- Becoming Brilliant
- Huffington Post blog
- Twitter: @kathyandRo1
- Becoming Brilliant on NPR
- Brookings Podcast
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we grow our podcast show and listener base.