In this episode, we are speaking with Marc Prensky, author of Education to Better the World: Unleashing the Power of 21st-Century Kids.
Marc, you may remember, coined the term “digital native” in 2001. He is currently the founder and Executive Director of the Global Future Education Foundation and Institute – a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting “Global Empowered Kids” and “Empowering Kids to Better Their World.” Marc is a world-travelled speaker and has authored 7 books and 100 essays. Marc has master’s degrees from Harvard and Yale and spent six years at the Boston Consulting Group. He has experience in software game development and has taught at all levels.
Here is what we talked about:
- Share with us the driving questions behind Education to Better the World. When you set out to author this book, what questions were driving your curiosity?
- In our district, we often think of our vision in terms of the future, and in your book you propose that “our current system is wrong for the future.” Tell us more about the disconnect you see between K12 education and our future world.
- You call your alternative to K-12 education, “Education to Better Their World” What is different about the vision of this model?
- What makes a good (real, world-improving) project?
- How can teachers uncover learners’ passions?
- Tell us about how the curriculum in a “Better Their World” model differs from the MESS (math, English, science, and social studies) curriculum of our current model.
- How does technology look different in the new model compared to the current system?
- How does the role of the teacher shift from content provider to empowerer in the “Better Their World” model?
- What will the role of leadership be in bringing about the change you’ve envisioned in Education to Better their World?
- What’s next for Marc? What are you currently working on?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we’ll leave you with a question or two to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This week’s questions:
- With the current structural and policy constraints of public education, what steps can you take now to empower learners in your school?
- What might the world be like if student projects were passion-driven, systemic (as Marc describes in Education to Better Their World) and embedded throughout the school day?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
In this episode, we provided many resources pertaining to Marc’s work. Additional information available at:
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we grow our podcast show and listener base.