In this episode, we are speaking with Monica Burns.You may remember Monica from last season – Episode 33, when we chatted about her book Deeper Learning with QR Codes and Augmented Reality. Today we’re talking about her new book from Corwin Press, #FormativeTech: Meaningful, Sustainable, and Scalable Formative Assessment With Technology.
Dr. Monica Burns is a Curriculum and EdTech Consultant, Apple Distinguished Educator and Founder of ClassTechTips.com. As an educator, Monica was part of her school’s Federal Magnet Funding leadership team and was a vocal advocate for bringing 1:1 technology into her 5th grade classroom. During her tenure as a classroom teacher, Monica used iPads to create engaging, differentiated learning experience to meet the unique needs of her students. Realizing the power of tech tools in the classroom, Monica started ClassTechTips.com to provide a resource for educators and administrators on implementing EdTech in the classroom.
Since starting ClassTechTips.com, Monica has presented to teachers, administrators and tech enthusiasts at numerous national and international conferences including SXSWedu, ISTE, and EduTECH. She is a webinar host for SimpleK12 and a regular contributor to Edutopia and Channel One News.
Monica visits school across the country to work with PreK-12 teachers to make technology integration exciting and accessible. She also provides support to organizations using technology to reach children and families in need. In addition to being named an Apple Distinguished Educator in 2013, Monica is an Amazon Education Teacher Innovator, Book Creator Ambassador and Nearpod Pionear for her use of engaging creation and formative assessment tools. Monica is a graduate of the University of Delaware and Hunter College, and completed a Doctorate in Global Education Leadership at Lamar University in 2016.
Her mission is to help educators place the task before the app and promote deeper learning with technology.
Here is what we talked about:
- What is the big question behind #FormativeTech: Meaningful, Sustainable, and Scalable Formative Assessment With Technology? Why do we need to read this book now?
- I think it would be good to share what formative assessment is and what it might look like before-during-after a lesson.
- What are some ways we can use technology to make our assessment practices more efficient and what are some examples of how we might use technology to totally transform our assessment practices?
- I really liked your chapter on family engagement and sharing data with parents. Why is this an important chapter and what tips can you share with our listeners about communicating assessment data with parents?
- What are some of your favorite formative assessment tech tools?
- What are you working on now? What’s inspiring you?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we’ll leave you with a question or two to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This week’s questions:
- What new tips or strategies did you learn about fir using technology for formative assessment?
- What can you do tomorrow to enhance or even transform your assessment practices?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
In this episode, we provided many resources pertaining to Monica’s work. Additional information available at:
- Deeper Learning with QR Codes and Augmented Reality
- ClassTechTips on Twitter: @ClassTechTips
- ClassTechTips on Facebook
- Additional Resources
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we grow our podcast show and listener base.