In this episode, we are speaking with Grant Lichtman about his new book, Moving the Rock; Seven Levers WE Can Press to Transform Education. Grant Lichtman is an internationally-recognized thought leader on the transformation of K-12 education. He works with school teams to develop a comfort and capacity for change in a rapidly changing world. For almost 15 years, Grant was a trustee and senior administrator at one of the largest independent schools in the United States. Since 2012, Grant has visited more than 125 schools and districts, published three books, written numerous articles, and worked with thousands of school and community stakeholders to develop unique and powerful visions and strategies for transforming education away from the Industrial Age and towards future-focused models of deeper learning.
Grant has also authored #EdJourney: A Roadmap for the Future of Education; and The Falconer: What We Wish We Had Learned in School.
Here is what we talked about:
- Tell us about the big ideas or essential questions behind your latest book, Moving the Rock.
- Your book provides seven levers to revolutionizing schools. Let’s talk about these levers. First, what do you mean by the Demand Side of Education?
- In your book, you discuss the School-Community Learning Laboratories. What are these, and why are these important?
- Why do we need to provide Free, Universal Access to Knowledge and Curriculum?
- What do we need to consider when we are measuring success and re-tooling College Admissions?
- Your book references professional learning. What do you mean by Teacher Training for Deeper Learning?
- What is the value of connectivity? (powering innovation)
- As leaders, we are thinking about what we need to learn so we can lead in a learner-centered environment. What do you see as the new skills for education leadership?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we leave you with a question or two to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This week’s questions:
- Which of the levers does your school or district excel at?
- Which of these levers is your most accessible entry point to transforming your school or district?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.