In this episode, we are speaking with Leslie Maniotes, one of the authors of Guided Inquiry Design – A Framework for Inquiry in Your School. She co-authored the book with Dr. Carol Kuhlthau and Ann Caspari. Dr. Leslie K. Maniotes, is a full time educational consultant with experience in all levels of education. A National Board Certified Teacher with 11 years of classroom experience, Leslie has worked as a Teacher Effectiveness coach and a K–12 literacy specialist and leader in rural and urban Title One schools. She received her doctorate in curriculum and instruction in the content areas from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and a master’s degree in reading K-12 from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is currently working as an educational consultant providing professional development to districts, where she works with teams of teachers, librarians, and school leaders to become effective designers of inquiry based learning.
Here is what we talked about:
- Tell us about the big ideas or essential questions behind the book – Guided Inquiry Design – A Framework for Inquiry in Your School.
- You begin the text by sharing the guided inquiry process. Why is this process important for our schools?
- Talk to us about the steps in the process.
- We have recently adopted a Profile of a Graduate and Learning Beliefs. To realize this vision, we will need to shift mindsets and build skill sets – causing much change. How could the guided inquiry process support this work?
- What suggestions do you have for leaders wishing to transform their schools to places of inquiry?
- What’s next for you, Leslie? What are you working on now?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we leave you with a question or two to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This week’s questions:
- How can guided inquiry design support change in your school or district?
- How will you lead your school to inquiry?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Explore Additional Resources:
- Guided Inquiry Design site
- http://52guidedinquiry.edublogs.org – A shared blog where a different educator takes a week to share their experience and learning through GID. We are in our second year!
- https://gidinaction.blogspot.com/ – Leslie’s blog called GID in Action!
- Leslie K Maniotes – Google Sites
- Leslie Maniotes – Inquiry Partners
- Follow Leslie on Twitter (@lesliemaniotes)
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.