If you are interested in the transformational possibilities of digital portfolios, you’re going to want to listen to this episode with Daniel Whitt, instructional technology coordinator in Madison City Schools in Madison, Alabama. Daniel is a native Alabamian, but his early adulthood was spent pursuing music production and filmmaking in New York City. He spent his early years in education teaching language arts and video production, which led to a heavier focus on facilitating adult learning. Now, nearly a decade into his education career, Daniel combines his passion for the needs of our youth with his technical and creative skills to help solve complex problems in the world of education. With a keen sense of the future, Daniel advocates for student voice, global awareness, and access equity as precursors for change. Daniel is an Apple Distinguished Educator and a TEDx speaker.
Here’s what we talked about:
- Why is it important for today’s learners to have digital portfolios?
- You have been so deliberate about creating resources for others through your Google Drive folder and the documentary. Why is this important to you?
- In your Google Drive folder, you share resources for each of the phases of the development of the portfolio, from start to share. Walk us through the stages.
- What do you see as the biggest barriers of challenges to developing these portfolios, and how have you navigated those?
- We have spent significant time developing a Profile of a Graduate and Learning Beliefs. How could student-created portfolios support this work?
- What have you learned from this systemic development of digital portfolios for learners in Madison City Schools?
Exploring Additional Resources:
- Marc Prensky – TLTalkRadio Season 4: Episode 3
- Documentary entitled “Digital Portfolios: The Whole Child, The Whole Story”
- Not Just a Number: How Digital Portfolios Help One District Measure What Matters (EdSurge)
- Digital Portfolios: Guiding Students Toward Accomplishment (ASCD)
- Follow up post to “Digital Portfolios: Guiding Students Toward Accomplishment” (ASCD)
- Connect on Twitter –
- Google Drive – http://tinyurl.com/DigitalPortfolios-WholeStory
Each episode we leave you with a question to think about…with the idea of provoking conversation. This episode’s question:
- How would your learners benefit from the develop of digital portfolios?
- How can you further the conversation of learner agency and the development of digital portfolios in your district?
Join in the conversation!
Each episode we leave you with a question to think about with the idea of provoking conversation.
This episode’s questions:
- What areas of your evaluation would you like to adapt?
You can join the conversation by leaving a comment below or by using the hashtag #TLTalkRadio on Twitter.
Ask us a question or suggest an idea for a future episode!
If you have a question or suggestion for a future episode, please click on the red Send Voicemail button on the right and leave us a message!
Subscribe to the Podcast:
If you have enjoyed this podcast please subscribe on iTunes! We would really appreciate you leaving a review as we build our podcast show and listener base.